Saturday, January 20, 2007

Suddenly It Happened To Me


During the thirteen years that we have lived in New York there have been many times when we simply didn't have the money to attend the theater. It is a travesty. We both love theater and we live in this place where not only is there lots of theater but (usually) it is good theater and often it is starring famous actors that we love a lot. We always appreciate a trip to the theater and treat the opportunity with deep respect. When we do get to go, we have a tacit ritual of saying that we really should take advantage of the city's theatrical culture, more often.

But it gets expensive.

Because of money, we have missed productions that we dearly hated missing. Diana Rigg in MEDEA. Ralph Fiennes in HAMLET. THE HISTORY BOYS. Sometimes theatrical events just slip by us. They open, they run and they close and we just didn't get to go. Maybe there wasn't time. Maybe there wasn't money. Maybe the show was a sellout and there were no tickets. It happens and you just go on.

We all knew about SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER. It was announced ages ago. We were excited. Pat was excited because Blythe Danner is his favourite actress. He has loved her his entire life. She is one of the stars of the film version of his favourite musical 1776. Blythe is an important part of Pat's artistic life. I also have loved Blythe's work for my entire adulthood but, for me, the bond goes beyond that. While working on THE SWEATER BOOK, I met Blythe and she showed me that a famous person can treat an unfamous person with great kindness and respect and friendship. Blythe has been one of the lights in my career and in my life. There was no way Pat and I were going to miss a chance to see Blythe Danner play Violet Venable.

What do you know about that? Catharine Holly was to be played by Carla Gugino. In our house, there are Pat's ladies and there are Stephen's ladies. His are Bibi Besch and Jeri Ryan and Celia Weston and mine are Leann Hunley and Lee Remick and Madolyn Smith Osborne. Then there are the ones we share like Blythe or Kate Mulgrew or Anita Morris. We have an equal and abiding love of Carla Gugino. We have loved her from the moment we first saw her in that beacon of intelectualism, SON IN LAW. Ok, I'm being fecetious. SON IN LAW is a Pauly Shore comedy but the movie is really good and it has a good message and Carla Gugino is really good in it! We have watched tv shows because we read Carla Gugino was in them. We have gone to movies to see Carla Gugino. She is one of our girls.

But we missed seeing her onstage in AFTER THE FALL because we were broke. THAT hurt.

Becky Ann Baker is in SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, playing at the Roundabout. Becky Baker is one of the staples of New York theater. She makes movies all the time. She is one of those actors that people in the business say is ingenius. She is a true actor's actor and to see a Becky Baker performance is to see acting artistry at its very best.

With these three women in SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, how could we miss it?

Then there was the matter of Gale Harold.

Gale Harold is one of my personal heroes. Pat likes Gale. He likes his work. Annalisa and I were, especially, excited about seeing Gale live because we are both die hard QUEER AS FOLK fans. I know it's cliche. I'm a big homo with a QUEER AS FOLK thing. But I'm going to buck the cliche and talk about why I am (but not in great detail--I am saving that for a different story). First of all, QUEER AS FOLK is good theater. The American version of the show was created by Dan Lipman and Ron Cowen, who created my other favourite tv show SISTERS. These men know how to write theater. I have never seen anything they have written or created that I did not buy into completely and enjoy, absolutely. Secondly, QUEER AS FOLK is like my family of friends. Every typical and stereotypical person of gay society is featured therein--and even if they weren't gay, the characters would STILL be like the people I have in my life. And thirdly, Brian Kinney is my hero, my idol, my role model.

I recognize the difference between an actor and the character he plays. I also recognize that an actor does not create the character--a writer does. And Brian Kinney was, first, created by Russell T. Davies, who wrote the UK version of QUEER AS FOLK and called the character Stuart Alan Jones. That character was played by actor Aidan Gillen. Then Ron and Dan wrote the American version and changed the character's name to Brian Kinney. These are the men who made way for Gale Harold, who didn't so much as win the role of Brian Kinney as he did, claim it. No one could play this part and the creators were searching for him and Gale Harold, as the story goes, came in to audition and, simply, stepped into shoes which were, rightfully, his. Brian Kinney was born; created by many but brought to life by one.

There are a lot of Brian Kinney obsessives out there. Fans. Obsessives. There is a difference. There is a similarity. There are also stalkers. I would say I am a fan. I wouldn't say I am an obsessive, though some of my friends would. I would not, though, say I am a stalker. You can't work in show business as a photographer of celebrities and be a stalker--it will, quickly, kill your career. So I am a happy admirer of Gale Harold, the artist, from a distance. I can have as much Brian Kinney as I like, in the privacy of my own home, by watching the dvds. The reason this character is my hero is unique to me, I believe. I think it is different for every Brian Kinney fan. For me it is based on my own lifelong struggle with low self esteem and a wish to be confident, succesful and unapologetically true to who I am. It is not an admiration based on the fact that the character gets laid every 9 minutes of each episode. It is a loyalty that comes from recognizing the comlexities of a man who has very real emotions but who does not show them; who speaks the truth at whatever cost; who cares for people without fanfare, while putting up a display of not caring; who acknowledges his own wants and desires without apology but who can (and will) put those factors aside when it is important and step up to the plate. It is a character so complex that only an actor of immense talent and depth could bring him to life. I will, forever, be indebted to the men who created Brian Kinney but, especially, to Gale Harold for bringing him to life with such style, finesse and honesty.

So.

There was NO FREAKIN WAY I was gonna miss SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER.

But I dropped the ball.

There were time restrictions. There was a job change for Pat. There were holidays. There were financial troubles. There was illness. And then there were no tickets. And the show was set to close and I hadn't seen it. I was, simply put, devastated. No Blythe. No Carla. No Gale Harold.

In these many years in New York, I have (often!) pooled my last few dollars and gone to theaters on the last day of a show and bought a single ticket, a cancellation, standing room only to send Pat to see a play. I love theater but he lives for it. I can sacrifice my time in the theater. I can live without it. But it is imperative that he see these special events. I made sure he saw Anthony LaPaglia in A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE. He was there to see Cherry Jones and Roy Dotrice in MOON FOR THE MISBEGOTTEN. I saw to it that he saw Vanessa Redgrave in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT. There have been others. Sadly, there have been ones we missed like HEARTBREAK HOUSE, which just closed a month ago. He really wanted to see it and we just couldn't make it happen. I let go of those moments we missed and focus on what we did get him into.

He turned the tables on me.

Aware of how sad I was, heartbroken in fact, to miss SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, he left our home and went to the theater and got a cancellation. A single ticket. There were no others. He sacrificed his chance to see Blythe and Carla so that I could see them AND my hero. I don't mind telling you that I threw quite a tantrum at his insistence on sending me to the theater alone. I would rather do any and everything with him, than do it alone. I didn't want to experience this event without him. I was adamant. But so was he and, suddenly last Sunday, I found myself in the fifth row watching Blythe Danner an Gale Harold walk out into Santo Loquato's jungle in the freezing cold air of the Roundabout Theater. (Sidebar: they keep the theater too well air conditioned--during the course of the play, everyone in my row put their coats on. It is unnecessary.)

I don't really get Arthur Miller. I REALLY don't get Eugene O'Neill. I like Lanford Wilson and Patrick Marber and Schaffer. I like Oscar Wilde. I GET Tennessee Williams.

It's a tough nut--Violet Venable. She's been played by a lot of great actresses. Diana Rigg. Maggie Smith. Elizabeth Ashley. These are just the ones I have been aware of because of general theatrical knowledge. There is the film version with Katharine Hepburn. Legendary. She has been played as a gorgon, a monster, a matriarch. I have seen her played in regional theaters and in New York theaters. I have never seen her played as an aged Southern Belle. It was a completely refreshing, totally unique performance. This woman was so deluded about her age, desperate to hang on to her youth, dressing in a lavender coloured kimona and flirting with the young Doctor called Sugar, as though she were Daisy Buchanan trying to talk her husband into a summer-long cruise around the Mediterranean. Oh, she referred to her age but it was no more than fishing for compliments. This woman was as predatory as her not famous failure of a poet son, Sebastian, not to mention the birds who attacked the sea turtles or the children who attacked the poet in the various monologues of Williams' epic one act. There were times that I thought Mrs Venable might be able to unhinge her jaws, like a snake, and swallow Doctor Sugar, whole. Blythe created that effect. There was way she had of leaning toward Doctor Sugar, pausing, pursing her lips into a grotesque kiss-like formation and saying the words "Doctah..........
Suuuuugahhhhh" with a sigh that hissed like a snake's whisper of seduction. To complete the effect, Mrs Venable sucked on a peppermint that caused her to suckle in the mint flavoured saliva, as though it were an aperitif designed to whet the apetite for the Sugar'd meal that was to follow. It was a scary and uncomfortable performance unlike any Violet Venable I have ever seen; and when, in the final moments of the play, the truth of her son's death was revealed, a gutteral scream, a wail of woe, rose from a place deep within, not even the gut...it went deeper. This scream came from the reproductive organs and rose through the torso and out of, not the mouth but, the throat--the very voicebox--of this character who embodies Medea, Oedipus and Aquitaine all in one silk swaddled swoop. For the first time in my life I was watching a Mrs Venable that I actually believed might have engaged in some pre pubescent sexual congress with her own offspring.

THAT makes the performance important.

The sets and costumes were lush and vivid and absolutely what I expected them to be. Becky Baker--well, let's just sum it up by saying this "Becky Baker can do no wrong." I don't care what task you give her, she will hit it right out of Wrigley. I want to say this, too: the other supporting actors--Sandra Shipley, Karen Walsh, Wayne Wilcox--are worth mentioning. They are worthy of having their names known and spoken. They were committed to their roles and they did a bang on job. You're onstage with Blythe Danner, Becky Ann Baker, Gale Harold, Carla Gugino and a forest right out of JURASSIC PARK and you can still hold your own--that's not nothing.

My idol was one of the first people onstage. Tall with hair that has been blonded for the role and dressed in a fine white linen suit, he took my breath away. He is my idol and he is a matinee idol. If I weren't so ardent a fan of Gale Harold's, it STILL would have taken my breath away to see him walk onto a dark stage, a ball of light. He radiates--and I know that part of it is the light on the blonde hair and the white suit--but there is light coming from within.

Doctor Cukrowicz is a difficult role to play. I don't know why any actor would want to play him. He spends the first half of the play feeding three or five word lines to the actress playing Mrs Venable so that she can deliver what is, essentially, a seventeen or so page monologue. He spend the last half of the play doing the same for the actress playing Catherine. There is an intersection in the middle where he gets to say lines that are character driven. The actor gets to show that Doctor "Sugar" has a motive: he is looking for funding. Therein lies the key to the playing of Doctor Sugar. He must bend to the will of the monster that is Mrs Venable or he will lose the funding she has promised him and, possibly, his future. But a doctor is, first and foremost, a healer and he finds himself trapped in his desire to save the poor, disturbed girl who witnessed an actual cannibalization. How on earth does an actor capture that?

I watched Doctor Sugar's discomfort grow while the lascivious old lady leaned in to him and, with each of her lip licking sneers, threatened to devour and regurgitate him like an unripe cherry, not fit to swallow. He seemed, at times, unable to move away from her; at others, able but unwilling, as it might damage his cause. He offered reserved politenes while feeling out the best route to keep from being engulfed in quicksand. It was a nuanced performance by Gale Harold that communicated to me the precariousness of Sugar's situation; and when Catharine entered the picture and he had to change gears and become healer, saviour, the transition was like watching a teenager learning to drive a stick shift. Doctor Sugar had one foot in Mrs Venable's court as the equally magnetic, hypnotic Catherine pulled him into hers; and he went, kicking and screaming, until he was powerless under the new female's tidal pull.

Gale assumed a stance as Doctor Sugar in the last half of the play--even when he was seated, his position was the same. With marked slowness of physicality, he leaned further and further into Carla Gugino, as though unable to keep himself from the force of nature that was (not only Catherine Holly but) her incredible story. Even as he was being pulled in to her, though, his feet were planted firmly on the gound, his chest was puffed up and his arms locked in place -- he looked exactly like a Superhero. He had gone from being uncomfortable in Mrs Venable's presence to being Superman-like in Catherine's. It was a subtle and stunning transformation.

Then. The last line of the play. He held onto some lamp post or tree or some fixture that I didn't take the time to study and memorize, and his face and body seemed to waver and collapse..just a little..as he became completely and totally human. The two sides of Doctor Sugar became one, imploding in time and space, and his most honest moment came when he almost whispered "I think we ought at least to consider the possibility that the girl's story could be true..."

And the audience members sitting near me who had never seen the play before, gasped as the lights dimmed, incredulous that there would be no stronger resolution.

Now.

I'm going to say a few words about Carla Gugino. I don't know how to begin to write about what I saw her do on that stage because it was one of those theatrical events that become indescribable and can only rank as a scream of memory, as you age.

I am not a theatrical historian. I am not an academician or an expert. But I have seen enough theater in my life to know what's good and what goes and this is one of those performances I will remember forever. Like Albert Finney in ART, like Reba McEntire in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, like Judi Dench in AMY'S VIEW, like Cherry Jones in THE HEIRESS; this was my exposure to Carla Gugino in SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER.

It was like watching Kim Stanley and Marilyn Monroe and Diane Lane and Stockard Channing and Judi Dench and Judith Ivey and the most foot stomping Bette Davis and, yes, even Elizabeth Taylor all rolled up into some impossible to make bit of baking that has some secret ingredient that the chef doesn't tell about, each time they give the recipe out. That secret ingredient is that thing, that spark that Carla Gugino has that makes her entirely and absolutely unique and irreplaceable as an artist of the acting profession.

Her portrayal of Catherine Holly was some freight train--a steam engine--that we see as the flame is lit. As the source of power becomes hotter and hotter, the engine goes faster and faster until it is no longer a train but a rollercoaster. And we are in the front seat. And there is no break. Carla Gugino went places with her voice, her speech pattern, her vocal projection that I didn't know actors could go. She could, in a split second, go from being uncomfortable and nervous, like a bird that is aware a cat is about to pounce, to being languid and lax. One moment, she was terrified of the world and the next she didn't give a good Goddamn about any of it. It was pillar and post, a luxurious tennis match played on one stage, on one face, in one voice, all by one brilliant actress. I get the feeling Carla Gugino gets Tennessee Williams too. I think she will become one of those actresses known for her relationship with a particular playwright--like Conchata Ferrell and Lanford Wilson or Swoosie Kurtz and John Guare. I believe that Carla Gugino will work her way through the Williams canon and become considered one of the foremost interpreters of his language. If she doesn't play Maggie the Cat, there is no God and I will be front and center on the day she opens as Blanche Dubois. It should be next month. I would recommend she play Maggie, Blanche and Catherine in rep but she would end up, thereafter, in the booby hatch. She is luminous. And speaking of luminous: as a photographer of beautiful women (Blythe Danner being one of the most beautiful of the ones I have had before my camera), I will tell you: there are few sights as luminous as Carla Gugino's white skin, clad in a white dress, with her black hair framing that work of art known as her face, decorated by one slash of candy apple red lipstick.

I tell you. The debt I owe Pat for making it possible for me to spend ninety minutes watching one of the great American actresses, my personal hero and this revelation of a performance by this young actress--I will never be able to pay it.

Fortunately, I have my whole life to try.

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just passing through, but I just had to say - wow. I was lucky enough to see the play last weekend, and I found this to be a fantastic review.

I'm so glad that someone who appreciated it so much got to see it, and thank you very much for sharing.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write beautifully. I went to see this play back in October when it opened and the only similar view I had of yours was Carla's performance.
Now I can see the play in a whole new light and feel better about it.
I'm glad you had the chance to watch and describe your emotions on it. thank you.

10:10 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi you guys. Thanks for both your comments. Suz, I'm glad you liked the play too! Did you also find the theater cold?

Anonymous, your compliment is really appreciated. Validation is so important. I appreciate that your views were different than mine. I heard many differing opinions of the show and understood them; but I tend to see things from an entirely different point of view than most. It's a sick play, isn't it?

But GASP! CARLA GUGINO... sigh

Thanks for the responses. You can't know what it means to me.

Peace
stephen

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that beautifully detailed account of your experience of "Suddenly Last Summer". It was delightful to read, especially since we'll be seeing the play's final performance later today. If I recall correctly, the theater was comfortable during October previews; the chilliness seemed to start not long after the play's official opening on 11/15.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,

I saw the matinee on the Saturday and the temperature was fine - I definitely wasn't cold, and didn't see anyone putting their jackets on at all.

It's definitely a difficult play to pull off - not his finest work - and Dr Sugar in particular is quite a thankless role as written. That said, I'm glad I got to see it myself; it wasn't anywhere near as 'bad' as I'd heard from others.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful review! Thanks so much for putting so much into this, it brought me right back into the theater.
I was lucky enough to see the play twice- once in early November before the official opening and then just again 2 weeks ago.
As a fan of Tennessee Williams- I fell in love with this production, and even more in love with the wonderful actors and actresses. And yes, I agree that the theater was chilly on both days!!
Thanks again for this review!

10:57 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Thanks for all your comments. I, so, appreciate your reading me and your feedback!

I agree that Williams has better works--but there is some draw to this one, proably the unbelievable death of Sebastian and our fascination with that kind of insanity. We are a society of watchers and the greater a scandal, the more we want to see..

I was an actor for some years, during my youth, and watching Gale play Dr Sugar made me want to go back to work, just to see what I, myself, would do with the difficult role..

I was also a house manager for awhile and I know the reason theaters keep the A/C so high: if it is cold, the audience is less likely to fall asleep. But this was uncomfortably cold.

Still. Not bad enough to prevent me from enjoying the show.

PS. Because I know Blythe, I went backstage after. It was so strange seeing her onstage dressed like an old woman and seeing her after the show in a fitted white shirt and slender black slacks with her trademark blonde hair flowing all around her unchanged-by-time face.

She is SEXY!!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this review and let me just say - WOW. Just amazing.

I saw the play four times, from Jan. 3-6 (let's say I'm a bit of a Gale Harold fan) and each time the play improved. Carla was insane. Awesomely insane. I had no idea she had such potential in her, but I enjoyed the play almost solely for her performance.

Great review! I really enjoyed reading.

Katie

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this in-depth and heartfelt review - it encapsulated many of the things I would like to say if I could write as well as you.
Gale Harold's performance was indeed subtle, and moreover delineated with compassion - for his own character as well as for the others. It's his hallmark I think, and I feel privileged to have seen him live.

Your partner is definitely a keeper!
Vesta.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen,

You made me tear up with this review. I saw the play last week and it was awesome.

I especially appreciated your comments on all the actors. Becky Ann is a favorite of mine.

But, if I might I'd like to thank you for your comments on Gale. I have acquaintances who are gay and I never felt comfortable asking them questions about their lives. But, when QAF came along and the force of Brian Kinney, it gave me an opening to talk to them and what where acquaintances have become friends. Yes, the writers did the words, but Gale made Brian Kinney so very special (his facial expressions most times transcended the words adding just that touch of war with between what was said and what he felt).

Anyway, awesome, awesome story. Your partner is a pretty special guy.

Lynn

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful review, thank you for sharing.

Esther

2:57 PM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi everybody. First of all, I'd like to say that I am shocked. I don't have very many readers--a few close friends who support my wish to be a writer or who like to stay in touch, long distance, through the internet. I don't think I have ever written anything that has not only had so many people respond to it, but in record time. I don't know how you lovely folks found my story but I am, extremely, validated by your having taken the time to read it and to comment. Thank you a million times, each and every one of you who have stopped by to say hello.

Katie--you are so lucky to have seen the show so many times. I wish I had had the chance, the time, the cash to see it again. They were all so wonderful. Glad to know a fellow Harold fan. Isn't he the end?

Vesta--thanks for the great compliments. Yee Haw! And you are right about Gale--he is so subtle, so honest. It is one of the things I love best about his acting on film. I'm working on a story about QUEER AS FOLK and why it means so much to me and I intend to cite the bashing episode. That long close up of him at the hospital. It's so contained and so real. That's acting.

Lynn--I'm so glad that QUEER AS FOLK affected that change in your life. It's good to have friends and make friends and to feel the bond that allows questions and answers and understanding. The show was incredibly well written and performed. It all starts with Ron and Dan, with whom I have worked and love telling people: they are the kindest, sweetest and realest people. And true artists.

Again, each person who has stopped to say hi, I am so grateful. I always say I write for myself--

but let's be honest... validation rules.

Peace!
Ste

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this review. Unlike most, I didn't get to New York to see the play and you made it very real for me. Your review had a depth and understand to it not found in most. I've heard others say Gale takes their breath away when he comes on stage so I guess it must be true...maybe someday.

Also, I really like your book, your photography is wonderful.

Thanks again.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't know how you lovely folks found my story but I am, extremely, validated by your having taken the time to read it and to comment."

There's an lj community, gale_on_stage that's been following the run of Suddenly Last Summer and they posted a link to your blog as being a review well worth reading, especially given some of the less-then-insightful reviews that have come along.
Gayle

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That theatre was an icebox and both times I was there I needed to wear my coat. Nice job of storytelling and I am inordinately pleased that you had the opportunity to attend.

Carla in Son In Law - that I did not recall so thanks and yes, she was amazing - though anyone who would race up and down that spiral staircase has my undying respect.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to read your post. You've articulated what I would never be able to put into words and, if I'd been able to see the play, what I would have hoped to get out of it.

9:33 PM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi Everybody:

One of the many wonderful responses here clued me in that someone linked my blog on their site. Wow. THAT is a compliment I won't forget.

THANK YOU.

I'm aware that the site is a Gale Harold fan site and that many of these messages come from fans of (yes, we all know, by now) my idol.

Therefore, I feel I should tell you all that in my archives is a Queer As Folk related story called L'Homme Infidele .. Mais Pas Ici. Also, I'm working on a story about QAF, Brian Kinney and Gale Harold and my perceptions of all three and how those perceptions changed me.

So please feel free to check back in anytime.

With my deepest respect and gratitude.

Peace
Ste

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was wonderful to read, Stephen! You brought SLS to life and I've read many, many reviews of the play, some of the them from people who are quite knowledgeable. I loved your description of Gale and his role in the play. And I especially loved what you said about Gale and how he breathed life into Brian. That's so true and, like you, I am a fan and an obsessive one, but definitely not a stalker. I hope you have an RSS feed because I'd like to read you again!

*Hugs*

Eileen

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely review. Also, regarding all the people who've found it - of course a lot are probably from Gale Harold fan sites, but I got a link to this in a Google alert. So, you're being indexed, too. :)

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen,

A link to your blog about SLS was posted to the Rramblers - which started as a QAF site but has become so much more - so I thought I would take a peek. I am so glad I did.

Life conspired to keep me from NYC & SLS, so I hve been forced to live vicariously through the posted reviews of others. Thank you for sharing your experience. You write so well I could feel your dismay at missing SLS and I think I actually heard you proclaiming that you wouldn't go alone. I also love that you have met Blythe Danner. (BTW, I agree with Pat about 1776. "Rum Molassas to Slaves" is one of the most powerful pieces of musical exposition I have ever experienced and the sheer joy expressed in "He Plays the Violin"...)

i thought your experience being an actor gave you special insight, particularly into Dr. Sugar and the way Gale Harold played him. I think you saw the nuances in his performance. I also found your descriptions of Carla & Blythe's performances to be fascinating. As for Carla playing Maggie the Cat, can we cast Gale as Brick?

Thanks for the review and insight into the performances.

preston

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another gale_on_stage-er checking in to tell you how much I enjoyed your thoughtful review. I, of course, sent the link to a number of fellow enthusiasts (I think that sounds so much better than obsessives) who no doubt will be visiting your blog shortly.

I have your blog in my favorites and will drop by every so often. I am particularly interested in your WIP on QAF-Brian-Gale. FanSee

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen

I can hardly find words to express my gratitude to you for this review.

I was at this performance, by the grace of God, and the fortunate circumstance of having actually managed to scrape the finances together to travel from Melbourne to NY to see it.

I can totally identify with how you feel about the amount of theatre you miss. I love the theatre. It still physically gives me a pain that I didn't get to see Diana Rigg in Medea - in either London or NY, or Sean Bean in Macbeth in London. And countless others.

But Gale Harold in ... well, anything ... no ... I couldn't miss that. Like you, Gale's performance as Brian Kinney simply blew me away. The complexity that he brought to life with very limited dialogue was ... extraordinary to me. Anyway ...


Unlike you, I don't get Williams. So I'm particularly grateful to you for the light you shed on certain elements that have added, post experience, to my enjoyment of the play.

But what I particularly wanted to thank you for was the reference to Gale's "superhero" stance.

I'd been unable to articulate what it was that was happening in that second half of the play, but that's exactly it.

That's exactly the promise he was holding out to Catherine. He moved from being the biggest threat, to being her greatest hope.

Anyway ... I just wanted to thank you, and to wish you well in your dream of "becoming" a writer. Judging by how wonderfully you captured this experience, you already are a writer. Now I guess you just have to find a way to make a living at it. Which sounds so nice and simple and is such a challenge. If talent has a role to play, then I believe that you have a better chance than most.

Again, thank you.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I saw the play and loved the dialogue the best. Pat is a great guy. May there be much theater in both of your futures.

J

2:00 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi Everyone. Doing my middle-of-the-night check in and found the latest batch of messages and very delighted by them. Thanks for that!

I want to say, in particular:

Wren, I know how you feel about not getting Williams. It's a funny thing -- I know Arthur Miller is a great playwrite and I always enjoy the experience of seeing one of his plays but I just don't (as Pat likes to say) hear the music. Artists speak to certain people and not others and I am glad I hear the Williams music and was able to share some of that with you..

I think it is so great that you traveled from Melbourne to NY to see the show. That is dedication. Pat and I make occasional trips around the States to see shows--even trips to London--it's so nurturing.

And then, there is dedication to Gale. It's important. And I've been happy and lucky to meet others who feel the same way. Sadly, I have also had to listen to lectures from those who disagree with me on the subject of his acting talent. I listen, quietly, and then come back with my own detailed analyses of his work. It has a sixty-forty chance of opening their eyes, usually. I like the way you said Sugar went from being her threat to her hope. It's what I saw.

Thanks for the nice compliment on my writing. I do it so much--I would like to think that I have developed talent. Now; to be paid to do it! It's a nice dream. Peace to you!

Eileen--I don't know what an RSS feed is but I hope you will get to stop by and read me again. I like the friendly energy of your message to me. I didn't get to read many reviews of the play because my gal pal Annalisa told me they weren't coming out very good and I refuse to let the opinions of snarky writers ruin my good time at the theater. I have found that theater reviewers have taken the word critic too much to heart. It would be nice if they remembered that they are here to support the arts, not kill them. I have no trouble saying I didn't like something, didn't get it, or got it and wasn't a fan of it; but so many people who review theater just seem to want to find new ways to be mean. Tch.

Yes, I always like people to know that I am a fan of Gale's but not a stalker. You see, I have seen obsessive and the way they handle celebrities. It's not pretty. I don't ever want to be mistaken for that... LOL. Cheers!

Preston--Thanks for telling me about the Rramblers, which I will check out.

I'm sorry you missed a trip to NYC and SLS. I understand your disappointment. I have been in those shoes.

Pat and I were both actors in our youth and his dream was to play Rutledge in 1776 and, indeed, Molasses to Rum to Slaves was one of his audition songs. Every year on July 4th we watch the film. Can I just tell you that Blythe is more beautiful now than she was in that movie? Heavenly.

I gotta tell you, I am ashamed that I did not think of it myself. Carla and Gale in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof? YOU should be a casting director!

Cheers!

FanSee--I LOVE the word enthusiast. I use it often. I agree that it sounds much better than the word obsessives. For the sake of my story, I needed to use the word obsess because there is a difference between being a fan and being a stalker. I live in New York and see the obsessive fans who line up outside theaters before a play, waiting for an actor to arrive. I've had many chances to see what obsessive fans are like and it can be a little scary. I wanted to communicate that I am not one of those types of fans so that anyone reading would understand that my point of view is one based on an intelectual understanding of Gale's work as an artist and not some obsessive crush. Does that make sense? Sometimes I get write so fast that it's hard to follow what I just wrote.

I am so flattered that you sent the link out to the other enthusiasts. It's a great compliment. I think we Gale Harold fans have to stick together. My friend Annalisa saw him in a bar and was too (either) nervous or reverential to walk up to him but she blogged about it, much to the delight of her readers.

Thanks for putting me in your Fav File. I'm in shock but delighted.

All my best to you!

Someone said I am being indexed! Sweet!

Peace to everyone.
ste

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for your very insightful comments about SLS and Gale's performance. I just saw it for the third and last time. I didn't have time to thank you before because if I didn't leave then I wouldn't make it on time. The play has been different every time I've seen it. It gets better and tonight I was enthralled and Gale was dead on. I saw the the fine nuanced actor that he is and when he said the last line of the play, I wanted to cry he was so good.

I so agree that others created Brian but Gale gave him life.

Thank you again and if you don't mind I'm adding your blog to my favorites.

3:33 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi Elaine.

You are so lucky! I would have loved to see the show again. But sometimes I find it is best to keep the one experience I have because what if the second time isn't as good? That would be my final memory of a show. It happened with KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN. The first time I saw Chita Rivera. The second time, I saw a replacement who wasn't as good. It hurt my heart...

Sigh. And to see the final perf, too. Have mercy. I would have cried. I DID see the final performance of FOLLIES that Blythe was in. I saw that show four times. I couldn't help myself. Heaven.

I LOVE that you are putting me in your fave file. I've never had enough validation (lol) and I will take all I can get.

Have I mentioned in any of my writings yet that one of my six tattoos (all designed by me) has the initials BK incorporated into it?

Peace!
ste

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Stephen. I just want to say thank you.

This is a really good, detailled and thoughtful review. I got the feeling you know what you talk about..thinking about theatre and stage. This review makes me feeling very good.

But I have to admit...what really got me was your thoughts about Brian...and Gale bringing Brian to life. I was never able...or should I say...I was never couragious enough to point out why Brian is so important to me. You did it. He is my hero, too. And I know what you talk about. And I simply love Gale for bringing him to life.
(And I so hope for Gale to continue his work..be it on stage or on TV)

So...I want to thank you again and stop before I burst out into tears.

I`ve recommended your entry in a german forum.

11:02 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

Hi Soulmate. I, so, appreciate your taking the time to write to me. I guess I might know what I am talking about but I don't feel like it is because of any kind of study or knowledge other than what I have gained from being in show business since I was six. I came from a show business family and so I have been watching movies and plays and television shows for more than just entertainment, my whole life. I guess that has given me a kind of knowledge -- but I wish I were more book learned about it; I think it would give me a feeling of confidence that what I know has some form of education to back it up.

But then, I deal in emotions, not knowledge; and that is what feeds my theater going experiences and my writing.

Also honesty. That's why I write (as you put it, couragiously) about my feelings and experiences about such things as why a fictional character would be my hero. My life experiences and emotional and psychological feelings of shortcomings make up who I am and the beacon of light that Brian Kinney became to me lit dark corners of dark times for me. So, recognizing that Gale brought that character and that light to my life makes me rent his movies, watch his tv shows and see him onstage. Your simpatico regarding Gale and Brian are most deeply felt.

Thanks for writing, again.

You know, I lived in Switzerland for awhile. I still speak German when I can find someone with whom to talk. I hope I go over well in your German forum. I love the Germanic countries..so beautiful and the people so friendly and honest. Hard workers. I like that.

Peace
Ste

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Stephen...then, I think we have a lot in common. And I believe not all things have to be booklearned and some things will never be booklearned.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Therefore, I feel I should tell you all that in my archives is a Queer As Folk related story called L'Homme Infidele .. Mais Pas Ici. Also, I'm working on a story about QAF, Brian Kinney and Gale Harold and my perceptions of all three and how those perceptions changed me."

Where would I find your archives? I looked on your blog page and profile page and came up empty-handed, am I missing somehting? Otherwise, I will certainly check back for your "preceptions."

I'll admit to being the one who posted you on Rambles. I want to do the same on another yahoo-group and on my lj page but I thought I should probably ask first, unlike last time.

I made assumptions before I don't think I should have. I'll check back to find out if it's okay.
Gayle

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen, just wanna say thanks for your review, reading it makes me really want to go see the play, unfortunately, I'm no where near NYC and the show is over. You write with such details that helps me to paint a picture of it. When I first read SLS, I thought Dr Sugar is such a difficult role to make an impression because he is just there to feed the lines. But after reading your review, it makes me happy that Gale took such a challenging role and was able to communicate with his performances what Dr Sugar had gone through emotionally. I had read a lot of people saying that the last line of the Play Gale delivered took their breath away. I really wish I could be there to experience that powerful moment.

2:26 AM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

HI Guys:

GaeIn (Gayle) Thank you for linking my site to others! Don't apologize for making assumptions. Pat always says "anyone who keeps a journal WANTS it to be read" and that must be true of someone who keeps a journal on the internet; at least, this someone. I love that you liked what I read enough to share it. Share away!

Now, regarding my archives: if you are on the main page of The Stephen Mosher Blog--on the right hand side there is an intro to who I am (in my own words) and underneath it are the names of recent stories. Underneath them is the heading ARCHIVES. Just click on any month to read what I wrote that month. The story you are looking for is in October of 06. You can't miss it because there is a photo of Brian and Justin.

Again: thank you!

Wanni-- Thanks for saying hi and saying such nice things. You are most kind.

Peace all!

ste

6:33 AM  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Ste,

As one of your regular "enthusiasts" (I prefer that word, too), I just now had an opportunity to finally read your breathtaking account of SLS and Pat's selfless circumstances that got you a fifth row seat.

While I never watched QAF and thus have no clue about Brian Kinney, your beautifully expressive turn of the English word made me feel that I not only missed something vital and important on television, but it made me very disappointed that I missed this limited opportunity on the stage. (It also makes me wish I could write with the emotional depth and richness that you always do!)

Thank you so much for sharing not only your review, but also your account of how you got there in the first place!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also fell in love with carla gugino whilst watching that cinematic masterpiece, "son in law." and i'm not ashamed to admit it. even when she dyes her hair that atrocious blonde, she's still beautiful.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen,

I absolutely loved reading your experience of seeing SLS, how you got to see it and why it was important to you because of Blythe, Carla and Gale. I relived it all again through your eyes.

I loved Blythe in Huff and have always thought she was a good actress in all the roles she has chosen. I have enjoyed Carla in many other roles and she was spectacular as Cathy but the draw to see SLS was Gale Harold. So much so that I actually saw it 8 times, 3 times early in Oct, 2 times in Nov, once in Dec. and twice in Jan including his final performance.

Each time was better than the last and Gale said the final line in many different ways but the final time was the best.

I am saving a copy of your blog report to read again and again because you are a gay man who loves Brian Kinney and Gale Harold and aren't afraid to admit it. I loved your comments about how Gale became Brian Kinney. In fact, when Gale accepted the role he called Cowan and Lipman and said, "this is Brian Kinney" and indeed he was.

I so appreciate your wonderful comments about him in the role of Dr. Sugar because so many critics if they mentioned him at all described him as wooden or stiff. I think he brought what he could to the role and obviously played it the way he was directed. I heard him talk about the play and his role in one of the celebrity chats after a matinee and it was evident that he loved the role and it meant a lot to him. He had even researched lobotomies to prepare for it.

I am definitely going to check out your blog again and the archives so I can read your QAF stories. I have copied your comments and sent them to other QAF fans. QAF changed my life for the better. I will always be grateful to Cowan and Lipman for bringing Gale Harold and the rest of the cast into my life.

11:08 AM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

OOO.I wish to speak to you in person about this experience,I love Suddenly Last Summer! Fabulously written review,and ofcourse Pat did this for you,I love it when Chris can see stuff I can't and then bring his review home!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home