Saturday, January 20, 2007

California Dreamin....



I want to say that I am sorry I haven't written in so long a time. After the first of the year I fell, extremely, ill and spent a lot of time asleep and whining like the big baby that I am when I get sick. Then, once out of bed, I had to return to work and there was a lot of work to be done for both of my bosses (personal assisting two people at the same time is challenging and rewarding but not when the holidays and illness keep you from getting to work). Then there is all the rest: home life, gym time, relationship time and the extreme chore of getting bundled to go outside.

In New York there is no escaping going outside. We cannot have lives without venturing out there (unless one is willing to pay for things to be picked up and delivered) and during the winter months this becomes extremely tiresome. I believe I spend at least two cumulative hours of every day getting dressed and undressed for cold weather. On top of regular clothing must go sweater (or sweatshirt), scart, hat, cloves, coat. Bags, usually slung cross-wise over the shoulder...ech. There is just so much. The pockets are all full. Keys go in the inside top left pocket. Cellphone in the inside top right pocket. Wallet in the back pants pocket. Metrocard in the front right hip pocket. The coat pockets are not safe for a metrocard because things fall out of those pockets and a lost Metrocard or credit card can be a tragedy. And I have the added weight of my Ipod, which I will not be without. I feel like Randy in A CHRISTMAS STORY. All week I have been dropping things on the sidewalk because I cannot feel anything. My body is frozen solid, for one thing, and all that clothing makes it impossible to feel anything, for another. Strangers have chased me down the street and down flights of stairs in stores, trying to catch me and return to me something I have lost.


This is why I prefer the summer months. It's simple. Sandals. Shorts. Tank top. Metrocard, credit card, ID, twenty dollar bill in one suede sleeve in right front hip pocket. Sunglasses. Done. Or better yet.

Naked.


Only four more months.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home