Friday, September 25, 2009

The Workout Room TWO PART ROWS

I'll be back to my musical theater blogging later today or tomorrow ...



In the meantime, I've decided to make some good use of this blog by talking, periodically, about a topic for which I possess enormous passion: Health and fitness.



The story I wrote about body image prompted several friends (both in life and online) to contact me for further discussion thereabout. This is nothing new for me; people often ask me for workout tips and diet tips and all that jazz. I am happy to impart any knowledge I have, whether it just be a couple of dietary tips sent to someone in email form, words of encouragement for someone trying to be healthier or even an hour together training someone so that they can be in better shape, so that they can feel better about themself.



On my Facebook profile I began posting workout videos so that a friend in a different state could use some workout tips while trying to get in better shape for a part he was playing. I think that, from time to time, it might be good for me to share those videos (and more that Pat and I will make), here, for a wider audience.



Today I'm going to show you a back exercise (and I am going to urge anyone reading this to A--workout in some, in any way, B--do so with caution and focus, so that you don't hurt yourself, C--talk to your primary healthcare giver about your intent to exercise; check to make sure you're good to go and D--if you have the wherewithall, hire a trainer. Get a professional to help you, even if it is only until you know what you are doing. You must ALWAYS protect your body from injury.



So here is a nice back exercise for youse who like to weight train.



TWO PART ROWS



Hold the handle in front of you (there are various handles you will find at the gym - I like the one that looks like 2 semi circles connected at the center spot; find the one that feels good to you); with a straight back, let it pull you forward just a little, then pull. stop. pull the rest of the way - to the belly button. Ribcage is up, shoulders are down. Control your motion. Always be in control of the weight. Use the lats. Don't jerk. Use the muscle. If you have trouble with the movement, lessen the weight. The FORM is most important. Do more reps with less weight and perfect form, rather than jerking heavy weight for fewer reps. No good comes of that. 4 sets of 20 to 25 reps. Natch, I always go for 25.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home