Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Musical Theater Voyage of Discovery; The Sondheim Files - Random Cds





































RANDOM RECORDINGS

The Trotter Trio:
Sweeney Todd in jazz
Company in jazz
Passion in Jazz
Follies Themes

Oh, I spent MONEY on these and I can NOT listen to them. I thought I liked jazz because I have a number of jazz cds from Nelson Rengell to Chris Botti; but, clearly, I like my Sondheim sung because not only did I find each one of the Terry Trotter cds unlistenable, I also couldn’t stomach:

Color and Light Jazz Sketches in Sondheim… even with the presence of my favourite living lady jazz singer, Miss Nancy Wilson, I can’t listen to this cd. I think it is because the jazz arrangements have (In my humble opinion) stripped the songs of their emotion.

I understand the Trotter Trio also took on Night Music and Forum; but I learned my lesson and saved my money.


DIDN’T EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF MY CASELOGIC TO THE IPOD

A Little Night Music studio cast recording with Sian Phillips as Desiree and Maria Friedman as Petra. You know; it’s not bad. The two ladies I mention are great actresses and actresses I love. There’s just NO room in my Ipod for ONE more recording of Night Music.

Sondheim Sings Volumes one and two. I actually have both of these cds and I keep them near my stereo at home. I play them on the big machine, through the big speakers. I prefer them that way, while doing housework or work at my desk.

Marry Me a Little – most of these songs can be heard on other recordings and since I don’t particularly care for the vocals on this cd, I figured, why use up my Ipod space for it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home