Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Musical Theater Voyage of Discovery; The Sondheim Files - Bounce


BOUNCE. Ok. Here’s the thing about Bounce – it’s difficult to live in New York and be a part of the show business community (even as a theater goer, only), especially in the age of the internet, and NOT be aware when a show is in trouble. I didn’t have to pick up a paper or magazine or read it in a book to know that the show was, first, named one thing and then changed to another; or that the show was worked and reworked and tried out in different places, again and again, while they tried to get it right. And, apparently, they never did get it right.

But that doesn’t mean it isn’t good.

I listened to this cd, with its’ cast of New York stage actors, all of whom are fine performers, and I tapped my toes and swayed my hips and enjoyed the songs and the performances… and then I said, “ok”. And that was it.

I know that this is something that all artists have to battle – writers, composers, painters, PHOTOGRAPHERS… even performers. There comes a time when people will begin to say that your best work is behind you. There will come a time when people will say you are done. That’s the kind of stuff I heard people saying when Bounce was Wise Guys; and it has continued right up to now. I don’t think Stephen Sondheim has run dry, I don’t think his genius is tapped out, I don’t think his best work is behind him. I just think this one wasn’t AS good as some of the previous stuff. It happens. Jesus. Nobody can hit a home run every time. Some people only get one. Some people don’t get any. Stephen Sondheim has certainly given the world a wealth of artistic creation; to be hyper critical about this one would be almost insultingly easy; and I don’t think people should do it.

These songs are charming! What is more, I think he was very wise to tap into some old harmonies, some old rhythms, some old melodies – it made me smile to hear him pay homage to his own masterpieces in this smaller, charming one. I think the problem that people aren’t acknowledging is this: when you have a nice score that isn’t a GREAT score, you need a GREAT artist to bring it to life. Note how compelling Lauren Bacall’s performance in the somewhat flawed (and one of my favourites) APPLAUSE. Bacall is one of those actors who is just so riveting that you cannot help but be drawn to her. How about Hugh Jackman in the (oft derided) BOY FROM OZ. Lovely but banal show brought to life by an electrifying show. There is no Lauren Bacall in this show. There is no Hugh Jackman in this show. There are lovely and talented New York actors; and we love and respect them (at least I do). The score needed a little help, a little elevation. It needed Nathan Lane instead of Richard Kind (who I admire and respect, I reiterate). You must either have a crackerjack score that can showcase a talent of less that superstar quality or you must have a superstar to make a nice score exemplary. I’m afraid Bounce is a nice but uninteresting score and the production that has been recorded is a nice cast of actors, rowing against the tide.

I don’t want to be critical; God knows I’m no expert. I’m only a layperson who has been listening to musicals since I was five. My journey here was one to see what shows I would keep in my Ipod and which I would delete. I actually won’t delete Bounce because, in fact, I DO like it. I WILL listen to it.

I just won’t thrill to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home