Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Musical Theater Voyage of Discovery; The Sondheim Files - Do I Hear a Waltz?


Embarrassing confession here: I have never seen the movie SUMMERTIME. A die hard Katharine Hepburn fan who has never seen Summertime? Unheard of! Embarrassing confesion here: I have never listened to my cast album of DO I HEAR A WALTZ? That’s right. A die hard Stephen Sondheim fan who has never listened to Do I Hear A Waltz. Imagine my surprise when I listened to it and LOVED it! No, really. The show was playing from my Ipod into my ears and I was dancing around the kitchen, cooking vegetables and falling in love with the entire cd. So I went to Wikepedia to read about it and, imagine my surprise (!) when I read the story of an unhappy musical!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_I_Hear_a_Waltz%3F

I didn’t like what I read there but, most of all, what I didn’t like was reading that critics didn’t like the show because I sure DO like it! I must admit that there have been other times when critics and I have disagreed but I am, genuinely, bothered by this time. It’s such a lovely score with such intelligent lyrics and really nice vocal performances! I’m going to listen to it again and again and I’m going to read more about the show and the performers and I’m going to get one of my ‘things’ about it, devouring it until I’ve had enough. And tonight I’m going to watch the film Summertime. And as far as me being on the same page as the critics.. Well…

Maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home