Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Musical Theater Voyage of Discovery; The Sondheim Files - A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM




A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM is one of three shows that I have seen more than any other. The others are CABARET and GYPSY. I don’t know how or why but I seem to always end up seeing productions of these shows – I can’t escape it. I actually love all three of them but sometimes I find myself thinking “aGAIN?!” Well. Never about Gypsy. I can always see Gypsy.

Forum has a score I really like. In fact, my favourite rhyme in all of musical theater is from Forum:

“The situation’s fraught. Fraughter than I thought.”

Love that line.

The recording of Forum that is in my Ipod is the Nathan Lane recording. People who know me or who have read my writing may be asking why that one? I have never been particularly shy about discussing my distaste for Nathan Lane. I will explain why this cd is in my Ipod: my problem with Nathan Lane is a PERSONAL one. He was mean to me on several occasions and made me feel bad; so I have a PERSONAL block with the man. It is often difficult for me to go to his shows and enjoy his work. I can’t look at him. It hurts my heart and it hurts my soul, not to mention my self esteem. Nevertheless – the day I went to see him in FORUM, I was in one of the worst moods I have ever been in in my life. I was scowling and frowning and determined to not enjoy the play. The lights went down and Nathan Lane came through the curtains and within 7 seconds I was smiling and I was happy. I have never forgotten that. I will never say the man isn’t talented (in fact, after seeing Forum, I walked out of the St. James and told Pat I hoped he would get a Tony Award – and he did, most deservedly). I listen to this recording because it makes me happy, if only through nostalgia. Also, though, it has wonderful performances by Ernie Sabella and Mary Testa (That Dirty Old Man always makes me laugh). Jim Stanek’s voice is the voice of an angel (and my friend Marci says his face is the face of an angel – I agree). Lewis Stadlen and Mark Linn-Baker are deliriously funny on the album, as they were on the stage. It is, for me, THE recording of Forum that I want to hear, when I want to hear Forum. I will say this, though: we saw the show again when Whoopi went into it and, had that been recorded, THAT would be the album I play. I love it when Whoopi Goldberg sings. It is a pure voice and one I love. Since that recording was never made, I opt for the Nathan Lane recording and I do it with love for the man for his talent and for the night he made me feel better. This is the occasion on which I am able to put the negativity aside.

I’m working on letting go of it the rest of the time. I hope that one day I will be able to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home