Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Enough Already



Well, it's time for me to say what I feel.

I wish everyone would leave Tom and Katie alone.

I admit it. I am sick of his antics. The couch. Matt Lauer. The reporter with the water pistol. Brooke Shields. South Park. So, so, SO many other things. It is clear that Tom Cruise has gone a little crazy.

SO FREAKIN WHAT?!

If you were that famous, if you had people tugging and pulling at you all the time, if you didn't know who wanted you for yourself or for your fame, money and power, wouldn't YOU go a little crazy? It is clear that fame has its price. The famous end up in rehab (Who would EVER have thought Robin Williams would end up in rehab?!), married-divorced-married-divorced-married-divorce (do I need to cite examples), on the internet (I actually have a copy of the Collin Farrell sex tape AND the Rob Lowe video), in jail (HELLO!!! Mel Gibson!!! Nuff said?) and deformed (www.awfulplasticsurgery.com). These poor people get fame and money but at what price? When I was younger I wanted to be famous. There is still a part of me that wants to be famous (so that I will have the clout to just pick up the phone and say ' I want to do a photo shoot with Jula Roberts...' and have it happen); but I think I am old enough to know how to handle it. I also know I could never be famous enough to suffer the kind of psychological damage these people are going through.

As far as Tom Cruise goes: I forgive him his ridiculous behaviour and wish he would get a therapist to help him adjust to his slightly (or not so slightly) askance perception on life and the universe. I truly do hope that this is real--that he and Katie are in love and a real couple and that the baby is theirs and a baby born from love. The rumour-mongers will always want Tom to be gay and his marriages to be cover-ups because it makes for a good story. Those who dislike scientology will always want Tom to be crazy because it backs up their feelings about a religion that they neither know nor understand (I don't either but I want neither to learn about it nor criticize it). It would and will always be easier if there were an angle.

But what if there isn't? What if he is just a man having his midlife crisis in front of the whole world? What if he loves this young woman and they have a beautiful baby and actually do live happily ever after?

Don't we, can't we, as human beings, wish that much on another person? No matter how crazy, megalomaniacal and weird they are? Don't they deserve the respect of our wishes for their happiness and peace?

Congratulations Tom and Kate. May you live out your happiest days with your beautiful daughter, seen in photos, above from the VANITY FAIR article (and don't think I don't wish that I had taken them--they are gorgeous pictures).

3 Comments:

Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Swet heart ,what a beautiful perspective. I hope its real too.

12:53 PM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Wow.so many new entries ! I've been checking almost daily and U snuck so many new ones in,alas ,fun computer time is over I'm off to get your god daughter from pre-school and have a different kind of fun!

12:58 PM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

SMOOCH!!!!
ps. my goddaugher(s) rule...

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home