Sunday, September 03, 2006

I Love A Film Cliche











But I hate being one. Ech. I try so hard to be an individual. Well, I don't TRY but I do take a certain amount of pride in not being part of a crowd. I feel that I already AM a unique individual; but a little concentrated effort to assist in the quest to stand out never hurt anyone, right?

I mentioned in a recent story on one of my blogs (or it may have been one of those fabulous survey/questionaires that I get on MySpace) that I didn't feel that I had a "type" but that Pat Dywer had pointed out that I DO have a type. I disagree but I agree. Disagree..agree. It's one of the things about myself that people have come to love. I can be contradictory in ways that no one dreamed existed. Dichotomy. You see, there are latin men I love (Cheyenne); there are asian men I love (Jason Scott Lee); there are black men I WANT (LL Cool J) and men from the east that I think are gorgeous (Naveen Andrews, Oded Fehr, Kal Penn--who is actually from New Jersey). As far as caucasians go, there are blondes (Eric Szmanda), redheads (Seth Green --DO NOT LAUGH AT ME, Seth Green is hot!), brunettes (throw a rock...), shaved (Vin Diesel), there are bookish (Breckin Meyer) and there are gym rats (Eddie Cibrian). There are men of all types that I find attractive, it is undeniable.

But Pat Dwyer has drawn it to my attention that there is a type I tend to favour: dark hair, light eyes, creamy white skin with rosy cheeks (negotiable), eyeglasses. Muscle is nice but negotiable. I also tend to like them a little taller than I so that there arms wrap around me and make me feel protected (I know what that's about--it's a subconscious thing about getting me away from the feeling I have from spending my LIFE taking care of other people).

So, finally, while watching an IMAX screen yesterday and sighing EVERY TIME Brandon Routh smiled (oh, it's not about the muscles--it's about the smile), I realized...

I have a thing for Superman.

HOW CLICHE.

I didn't get to see the early Superman(s) because I didn't grow up in America and missed the reruns. I did get to fall in love with Christopher Reeve (who-by the way-I met once and he was such a gentleman..such a gentle man). Then there was Dean Cain (who was a personal favourite of Pat's and mine because he is mixed--NOT 100% caucasion--we loved that in a Superman). I find Tom Welling beautiful but I admit it; I do not watch SMALLVILLE. I thought the two different Superboys were handsome. But I gotta tell ya, Brandon Routh (as Truvy would say) melts my butter.

I have said that I prefer Batman to Superman because he is a human; he is flawed and he has his dark side (I bet that makes him a wildcat in the sack) but I think that, at the end of the day, I must be wrong about that. I have become a cynic in recent years. A lifetime of being hurt by others has made it difficult for me to trust easily and I have spent a lot of my life angry at the world. However, like Ann Frank, there is a place where I still believe in goodness and in purity of heart. Superman is just about that. He is a hero. He is good and he wants to help. And then there is the whole duality thing (no, I don't know a thing about duality--not much I don't!) and the hiding who he truly is (no, I don't know a thing about that either--not much I don't!) and the whole disguise thing (eyeglasses and shy demeanour! Have mercy!).

Yup. There it is, ready for analysis.

I have a thing for superman.

By the way, has anyone noticed how mild mannered Pat Dwyer is? How about his dark hair, light eyes and creamy white skin? How about the way he has taken care of me for twenty years.

A super man can be found--anywhere you look. You just have to be able to see him through the lead....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"don't blame me, i didn't grow up in america" :)

i love it.

oh, and seth green totally IS hot, i'm so glad i'm not the only one who feels that way.

love,
a.

8:45 AM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Woa , I logged in just to compliment you on this marvy post AND to revel in the hotness that is Seth Green,only to see that Annalisa beat me to the punch. So I shall go her 1 (make that 3) better. Shall we drool over all the Buffy Men.Lets start with Anthony Stewart Head ,towards the end of season 7 ,I could tell the Spike thing was just not happinin' for the Buffster. I kept having this fantasy (now that she was old enough!)that maybe she and Giles belonged together after all.Thats scenario 1 heres 2,She becomes a vampire , through a random careless slaying incident, and Angel and Spike have to corral her ,and feed her for her own protection till 1 of them figures out how to get her 1 of them there souls .The 1st vamp to re-in-soul her wins her!Oh ,wait a minute we were talking about hot guys and somehow I turned this into a Buffy story. Dang the TV needs some more Joss!
I am so happy your sweet Pat is your Superman . You ned some Pat Underoos!

3:49 PM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

he IS my superman! And, yes, BUFFY had hot guys all the way around...

xoste

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home