Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Christmas Memory: Day Fourteen - Anthony Newley


Growing up, my favourite movies were the great children's movies of the 60s and 70s. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Sound of Music, Bedknobs and Broomsticks. You know the ones. Doctor Dolittle. That was a big one. Even though Chitty was my very favourite, Dolittle was a close seconds. I loved that movie (still do - I watch it a couple times, every year), loved everything about it.


I have to admit, though, that I really loved Anthony Newley. I was a boy who was gay before I knew what that was. I was looking for a male figure to look up to, whether it be as a crush or just as a mentor. Anthony Newley was in show business, like I wanted to be. He was handsome, like I wanted to be. He could act, sing and dance, like I wanted to. And when I read the liner notes on my Doctor Dolittle soundtrack, I found he also wrote what he sang. I loved him.


Years and years later, Pat and I were in London during the holidays. We were there to do some work on THE SWEATER BOOK and to see some beloved friends. And we were there to see some theater. When we were looking over the list of shows playing in the West End, we saw that SCROOGE was playing and that Anthony Newley was the star. How fitting. Pat's childhood idol (and idol to this day, in fact) had played the part in the film and, now, my childhood idol was playing the part onstage. We would have to see it.


When I look back over my theatrical memories, I am so happy that I saw this show. To see a musical that I love so dearly interpreted by an artist I have loved all my life, to see this artist, this talent, LIVE - wow, what a thrill. You know, we really do take it for granted, this gift that we are given, the opportunity to see people create art LIVE... it's such a treasure. Had I known, when I was younger, what a gift it is, I would have made sure that I hadn't missed the great performers that I have... and I have missed some.


But not this one.


I get out my SCROOGE cd and listen to it, throughout the year and remember who wonderful Mr Newley was in this part. I remember that Pat and I marveled at the different way he played the role from Mr Finney and how we love both of the interpretations. I remember what an old and paunchy and grey haired man the gorgeous matinee idol of my youth had become and, yet, how he still took my breath away.


I loved Anthony Newley. When he died, I felt a part of my childhood die. But I'm lucky because the Christmas that I saw him perform, live, as Ebeneezer Scrooge.


It was one of my favourite Christmas presents I ever gave myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home