Monday, December 13, 2010

A Christmas Memory: Day Twelve -- Nancy LaMott, JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS


I moved to New York in 1993. Within a year and a bit I met a girl named Nancy LaMott. I took her photo. We became friends. I bought her cds. She became my favourite singer. I saw her perform. She became my favourite performer. I loved her.


Nancy gave me my first job, that is - my first photography job, in New York. Nancy asked me to shoot the cd cover for her Christmas cd. I had never done a cd cover before and I was elated, excited... I was just really happy. The photo shoot took place in the home of Alix Korey (another great singer and performer) and it involved lights, a white backdrop, prop presents and a dog named Midder. We did the photo shoot in late summer/early fall and the cds were delivered just before Christmas.

There was a big party to release the cds. Just before Christmas. The cd was actually called JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS. I'll never forget the day we went to the office where the record moguls were, to get the first cds. Nancy and I were there with some other people and we were both so excited! She handed me the cd and I looked it over, looking for my photo credit.

"They spelled my name wrong."

"WHAT!" exclaimed Nancy.

"Not really. Joke."

She punched me on the shoulder and we laughed. We were happy.

That cd is my favourite Christmas cd. It isn't Christmas until I have listened to it.

I am listening to it, now, as I type.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home