Tuesday, December 07, 2010

A Christmas Memory: Day Five - Liza Minnelli


A couple years ago the lady who has been my diva since I was a boy opened a show on Broadway. I had seen Liza in concert several times but not in awhile. I was excited to see her again. Times have been tough for Americans for awhile now and spending a lot of money on a Broadway show can be difficult to reconcile. However, not seeing this show would have been a mistake of epic proportion; so Pat bought us tickets to see Liza's At The Palace.


There is no need to write a review of that memory - I wrote a rather epic review of it at the time. What I can and should say here is that something about New York City was different. It was Christmastime and there was a two or four story tall billboard in Times Square of Liza Minnelli. The show opened to smash reviews and was extended. Everyone was going to the show and coming out smiling. Liza Minnelli was cool. She was the hot item of the holiday season.


Every chance I got, I walked through Times Square so I could see that billboard. I had Christmas music in myIpod and Liza in my eyesight.


We saw the show several times. The first time, together. Then Pat took Hunter to his first ever Liza show. Then I took Jennifer to see her idol from her youth. Then we saw it again, together, from different seats. Then Jim Caruso walked us in to the final performance. Each time I was like a school kid; so excited I could barely contain myself. I was bouncing up and down in my seat, laughing, crying, screaming, cheering. It was the best Christmas present ever.. over and over and over again.


Now I can't get through a holiday season without listening to my cd of that show and walking through Times Square, once more, where I (still) can see that billboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home