Monday, September 28, 2009

My Musical Theater Voyage of Discovery; The Kander and Ebb Files -- Curtains, Flora the Red Menace and The Happy Time







CURTAINS -- I love. In fact, when I saw the show, I wrote a story about it:

http://stephenaaronmosher.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

That being said, I think the only thing I can, really, write in this story is that I immediately imported the cast album and that I listen to it. These are the most beautiful actors, most of them NEW YORK actors (in fact, I think every one of them are New York actors – David Hyde Pierce started on the New York stage). I love when plays cast our local talent; and I love when the local talent becomes local stars. I know that people out in Hollywood aren’t beating a path to the doors of Karen Ziemba or Jason Danieley (though, why, I cannot tell because they are great) and that Debra Monk and David Hyde Pierce balance out their work on film/tv with a lot of work on the New York stage – but these actors and the other cast members of Curtains like Noah Racey, John Bolton, Jim Newman – the members of the theater going community know who they are and go see shows, just to see them. Let us not even mention to ardour people have for Edward Hibbert and Ernie Sabella. These people are OUR people – and we love them and thrill to see their artistry.

And I did think Curtains was art. It was also fun. I simply loved it and I listen to my cd often (I actually have the songs THATAWAY!, IT’S A BUSINESS, COFFEE SHOP NIGHTS, which is quintessential K&E, and I MISS THE MUSIC in a couple of my playlists, so they get more playtime than the rest of the album).

Thataway, when I am in a bad mood, always makes it better.

It says a lot when a musical runs for under 100 performances and the lead actress still gets a Tony Award. Right? FLORA THE RED MENACE is an odd little piece with some wonderful songs but the major selling point, for me, is (natch) the leading lady – the Flora, the red menace. It’s Liza, man. How do I now have Flora in my Ipod? It’s got Quet Thing and All I Need and Sing Happy. No. Flora is essential listening for me and for any other fan of our great diva.

THE HAPPY TIME actually is NOT in my Ipod for a very good reason. I never got it on cd. I have an audio cassette of this show from my college days. I always played it on my cassette player and when cds became the new technology, I never quite got around to getting this one. My memory of it is actually a little hazy because it’s been years since I have played it; but I can tell you that I love A Certain Girl, I Love I Don’t Remember You and I LOVE Walking Among My Yesterdays. It’s such a lovely score and I adore these three male leads – Mr Goulet, David Wayne and my longtime favourite boy voice on Broadway, Michael Rupert.

Think I’ll go on Ebay today and get a cd of The Happy Time. I feel like I have betrayed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home