Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bootcamp at Circuit of Change


This story was started on Friday, October 21st and (due to time constraints in my week) completed on Wednesday, October 26th.


The sun is shining today. It has been the kind of week, or weeks, where the weather has been trying to figure itself out. It is, after all, autumn; the change of seasons. One day warm, one day wet, one day torrential, one day hot, one day cold... Those who live in states where there are four seasons know whereof I speak. No matter what the weather has BEEN doing, today, the sun is shining.

On my journey back to Bulldozer, I have been making great use of Groupon and Living Social. Wait. Backstory needed for those not in the know: Bulldozer is a nickname that was given to me by Ray Scalvino, my trainer (when I have enough income to afford me one). I got it when a pulldown bar fell on my head at the gym and I refused to let it end my workout. Ray said "you are a bulldozer" and, from that point on, Bulldozer Mosher was the tough part of me. Bulldozer has lain, dormant, for the better part of the last year. Now, on my journey back to Bulldozer, I have been buying exercise classes on the two sites I mentioned above. Bootcamp. Yoga. Pilates. Boxing. Massage (I need them, badly, to keep this body moving, if I am going to use it as much as I want to). I've even bought a dental cleaning and some other things; but, mostly, I have used Groupon and Living Social for exercise/workout needs.

I have, long, wanted to do a bootcamp but never have. There is a bootcamp class at the branch of NYSC that I go to - but I won't join it. The man who runs it just screams at the members and it really gets under my skin. I'm all for the bootcamp mentality; but let's not get carried away. These are people, not marines - there is no need to scream, no need at all. I decided I would find a bootcamp class elsewhere. So when Groupon offered 12 classes for $19.00, I snatched it up! It was for a company called MANHATTAN STRENGTH CAMP and they met in Central Park (my favourite place) a few times a week. I was excited!

But I got sick. One week with what was either a bad cold or a light flu, followed by a week of dealing with severe pain stemming from a dental issue, kept me from the bootcamp class. Then there was a week of rain - and this is an outdoor class. Bummer. I would have to wait until the universe wanted me to go to the Manhattan Strength Camp. In the meantime, Marci had bought, as a gift, a Living Social voucher for five classes at the health studio Circuit of Change (http://www.circuitofchange.com/) and she insisted that I take class with Brian Delmonico and that I take, both, his indoor class and outdoor class. Well, since I was finally feeling well enough to work out, and since Manhattan Strength Camp was an outdoor class suffering from the rain week, I decided to take advantage of Marci's generosity and go down to Circuit of Change, where I could get a 6:30 am class (my preferred time to work out).

Today, I had my fifth (and final) Living Social class with Circuit of Change. I feel sad for all the other Groupon and Living Social vouchers that I bought because I know I will be joining Circuit of Change, permanently. My heart is pledged. Oh, I will use the other vouchers and take the classes - it will just help me get in shape that much faster; but my heart is pledged.

Here's the thing about Circuit of Change that, for me, really makes it a class worth taking: it's not just a physical workout. It's spiritual. You can feel the loving energy roll off of Brian Delmonico, the creator of the studio, the program and the workout. He has spent time in the east and his attitude shows it. There is a big focus on yoga stretching, both before and after the class. There is a focus on meditation, on taking out a few moments to be yourself, to breathe, to relax, to focus on you, before heading out into the crazy world that is New York city. There is, undeniably, a decidedly eastern feel to the classes I have attended. This is a good thing for me because working out is my church. I don't attend mass, though I love being in houses of worship. I pray in my own way; but when I am working out, I am in church. That is my religion; and it is extremely spiritually based. I went to five classes with Brian Delmonico and at the end of each class, as I was stretching (usually in pigeon pose), I found myself weeping. I was crying because I was grateful for the opportunity to exercise my body, for the chance to expand my health and fitness horizons, for the honour of studying with a good teacher, for the sadness of not getting to work out as much as I want to and, yes, I was even crying because of the pain. Hey, when you are stretching out older muscles that haven't been used in awhile, it effing HURTS! When you are operating with a body that has back, knee, neck and shoulder issues, you are going to feel limited - and it is not just the pain that makes me cry, but the fact that I am limited. Damn. I hate that. Being limited. Hate it. The crying, though, is good. It helps me keep the workouts spiritual and personal.

And speaking of the workouts....

Heavens to Betsy. My heart was racing! I was sweating so hard and breathing so hard. Well, let's be honest. It challenged me. Fortunately, I love a good challenge (in my workouts - in life, they can be superboring). The workouts were a combination of yoga, boxing, kickboxing, plyometrics, and (I am sure) other exercise techniques. I found it difficult to keep up; but Brian stresses the importance of going at your own pace. I'm not stupid. I knew I was the oldest person there. I knew that I moved slower than the rest of the group. This is something I am having to admit to, own up and learn to live with: I cannot move as fast as I used to. So I did - I went at my own pace and I focused on form. Brian was encouraging in a gentle way but one that pushes you forward. He is in control of the class and when he corrects your form, you don't feel like an idiot. He is a superlative teacher.

I did three classes indoors and one outdoors (my Living Social was for 5 classes but, to my shame, I slept through the alarm one day and missed class - unhappy face). The difference between the classes was distinct but the merit to both was immeasurable. Honestly, the outdoor class is so uplifting. There is nothing like starting your workout in the dark and witnessing the sunrise over Manhattan as you start your day with the perfect mind and body centering. I can't wait to go back! I just have to get together the money to join. And it's not a lot of money. The studio is extremely.. maybe I should underline it - extremely - affordable. All their prices on their website. I encourage all who live in NYC and who seek a challenging workout that is spiritually in tune and really not invasive to the body to check them out.

You will thank me, Brian and, ulitmately, yourself.


To go to the website for Circuit of Change, click on the title of this story.

1 Comments:

Anonymous chelsea said...

Thank you SO much Stephen! This is an amazing blog :) We are so grateful!

Chelsea@CircuitofChange.com

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home