Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Picture Down the Hall -- The Jewels in the Crown 4

The last set of photos taken in our two day shoot for this line of jewelry was with my friend, Rob, whose schedule did not permit him to attend the group shoot and be in photos with any of the other models. That didn't bother the designer of these pieces of jewelry because he took one look at Rob and went into a kind of ethnicity induced coma.

I am sure you can see that Rob is of Asian descent.

As a man who is also fo Asian descent, I have had many people react to me the same way the designer reacted to Rob. His cup overfloweth with remarks about how beautiful and exotic Rob is. It was (I am sure) very validating for Rob to be told he was beautiful. I always like being told I am beautiful

It is difficult to know, though, what is in peoples' minds when they go off on the exotic tangent. Many times I find that people expect me to behave like some submissive gAsian -- which I am not. People don't think about their racism; it just exists within them. I always hoped that Rob wasn't offended by the comments made in his name on this day - or the images he was asked to portray.

Like I said, I never mind being told I am beautiful; I also don't mind being called exotic. It's just that it is also nice to have people see you for who you are, to see all the parts of you. I'm not a Prince out of the Arabian Nights. I'm not Lady Boy. I wouldn't mind being a warrior out of Crouching Tiger or Enter the Dragon... These are the thoughts that go through my head.

I'm a man, not a Geisha.



So when the designer got all up in arms about Rob looking like the King of Siam, I had to try to shoot the images the way he (the designer) wanted them and, still, try to spare Rob some embarrassment. I wanted Rob to have his dignity.

The photo of Rob holding the designer by the back of the head was masculine and strong. The photo of the designer reaching into frame to touch Rob's shoulder was submissive (to me). I am sure you can guess which picture I pushed, when the proofs came in.




I was, though, very happy with the photos of Rob wearing jewelry on his head because he IS strong and commanding and the pieces DO look like crowns and head dressings. He could, very well, be a king - but not because of his ethnicity; because of his dignity, because of his strength.


Also, when the pieces of artwork were placed on his head, it was much easier to get the focus on his eyes, his most stunning feature.


I was so grateful for Rob for doing this shoot because I always found him to be handsome and wanted to get him in front of his camera; but Rob doesn't do show business. It's not his line, it's not in his interests ... but he was my friend and I asked him and he said yes and that's cool.








The artwork we created together is some of my favourites I have done.











I actually think I like these two best.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home