Wednesday, May 13, 2009

DELISH!

I am a health and fitness fanatic.

Newflash?! No. Everyone knows this. It's part of my identity. I am also an eater - that is also a part of my identity. Everyone who knows me or reads me knows that. These days, though, I live on a diet that is best described as extreme. I eat protein in the form of fish and poultry with occasional bits of red meat. I eat carbs by way of oats and sweet potatoes. I get roughage through many green vegetables. I avoid sugars and non complex carbs. These rules of diet do not make life easy; sometimes they make life unpleasant. Especially when you have a sweet tooth, like I do. I have admitted that a couple of times a year I will treat myself to some cookies from www.thischickbakes.com and on extremely special occasions I will even bake my own brownies.

The rest of the time, I have to find satisfaction where I can.I frequent the health food store called Westerly, on the corner of 8th and 54th in Manhattan. There, I buy organic nut butters or I get nuts from their bulk bar -- From time to time I even have some Jumbo Flame Raisins or some Dried Black Mission Figs. Life is TOO SHORT to go without sugar forever. Natural fruit sugars are a wonderful thing; when indulged in with moderation. I have had some luck with some of the vegan deserts that are sold at Westerly ( I am particularly fond of Miss Lillian's raw vegan lemon meringue pie - but at 8 dollars a slice, it's a little like Christmas morn to get one ). Recently, I was at the refrigerator case looking to see if any of Miss Lillian's pies were on sale and I spotted something.. a little package with two little nuggets in it.

SUN GEMS

There were several different flavours of these fruity nutty treats -- and they were affordable! And they weren't so much food as to threaten my diet! Well... I just had to try a few. So I examined the choices and I bought some and took them home...

Now.. let me tell you about vegan treats bought in prepackaged cellophane envelopes. You are taking a BIG risk. They aren't always super expensive (though they can be, let's not lie about it) -- and they also aren't always tasty. Some of the things I have bought that sounded good .. um. SAWDUST. And sometimes they hurt your teeth and gums to eat. It's pointless gettnig upset about it; you have to try them. You have to look around and test the waters. Like they say - without risk there is no reward.

Well.. I got my reward.

Didi's Baking for Health makes raw and vegan treats that are free of wheat, dairy, gluten and sugar. They cost about two bucks (give or take a few cents - off the top of my head, I cannot be counted upon to give the correct price) and each one that I have tried has been DELISH.

It's important to say this: just because you are eating healthy, just because it is raw and vegan, doesn't mean it is right for you. If you are watching calories, carbs, sugars (even natural ones), you will want to READ the nutrional contents! Make sure that you are ok to have these wonderful treats - and they DO contain nuts; so anyone with nut allergies, READ the LABEL.

The flavours:

Sunflower Crisp Ingredients: sunflower seeds, walnuts, raisins, dates, vanilla, spices -- this may be my favourite. Perfection.

Lemon Crunch Ingredients: almonds, brazil nuts, dates, raisins, lemon -- this is so yummy and very moist!

Coconut Cruncher Ingredients: almonds, dates, coconuts, vanilla -- VERY tasty! I have tried these more than once and one time I got one that was a little hard, so I wrote to the makers and they suggested a light spray of water and, sure enough, it moistened right up. Worth the effort.

Carob Fudge Ingredients: walnuts, dates, raw carob, coconut Oh my gosh. It's wonderfully rich and gooey!

Spirulina Sunrise Ingredients: brazil nuts, figs, cashews, dates, spirulina, sesame seeds I don't know what spirulina is but these are so moist and tasty!

Apple Date Ingredients: apple, dates, raisins, walnuts, sunflower seeds, orange, spices. PERF!!

Cashew Ginger Cream Ingredients: cashews, ginger, coconut, dates I've never had this one. Not a ginger fan. Sure does sound like it might be worth trying though..

Anyway, these are my new treats to myself in between occasions when I can get a POUTY PEANUT BUTTER BLAST from www.thischickbakes.com

If you are in NYC and want to visit Westerly, look for Didi's products back at the back of the store where the vegan deserts are kept in the refrigerator case.

ORhttp://www.bakingforhealth.com/index.html

Like the title says...DELISH!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to bother you on the comment section, but I am interested in advertising by placing three to five links embedded in a short text ad on the side bar of your site. Please respond if you are open to such a deal.

5:18 PM  
Blogger StephenMosher said...

advertising what?

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home