Monday, August 23, 2010

Food For Thought - Egg Pie

I do this thing that we call Egg Pie. It starts with a carton of eggwhites. Just buy the brand that you like - there are several; and they are all the same EXCEPT for the ones like Egg Beaters that have additives. DO NOT BUY THE ONES WITH ADDITIVES! Read the label and look for an ingredient list that reads like this: 100% liquid egg whites. You DON'T NEED additives! No salt, no onion salt, no NOTHING. All you need are egg whites.

Take a good non stick skillet. Heat it on a medium flame and spray some olive oil cooking spray on it. Pour eggwhites into it and spice it up any way you like. I use ground powdered onion and garlic (I rarely have time to chop these things up, fresh, so I use them in spice form - but if you prefer fresh onion and garlic, go to! This is YOUR creation!). I also use crushed red pepper. So. You have eggwhites and spices in your pan. Now you can put in anything you like. Whatever vegetables or meat you like, add it - but be reasonable. Pork sausages are a bad idea. Ground beef is a bad idea. The idea is to eat healthily.

For one of my Egg Pies I just spread in freshly cooked spinach.

For one of my Egg Pies I put in chopped up grilled turkey breast, cherry tomatoes and chopped up fresh basil.

Once it starts to cook, put on the lid and let it cook all the way through. Check on it from time to time. When it has a 'custard' look to it, off the heat and let it sit so that it becomes completely solid. Once it has cooled, loosen it with a plastic spatula and slide it out of the skillet onto a cutting board. Let it cool. Cut it into squares. You can serve it like this or you can store it in tupperware. It's good cold or reheated.

Pat makes fresh salsa and puts it on his. I use the salsa on the spinach one but not on the turkey one.

I want to taste the turkey, tomato and basil!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home